Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My First Yoga Insult

Bizarre day for me today. Not only did Aunt Flo come for a visit, which was painful enough but I received a bizarre insult from one of the students at the studio I go to. Before class started, I noticed the woman who gave the insult (Lorette) plunk her mat down almost in front of me so that I had to move my mat before we started doing half moon. I don't make eye contact with a soul usually so I didn't make a big deal of it, I just moved. Then throughout the class I got a vibe that wasn't great coming from her direction, whether it was disappointment in her stiffness or competition with those around her, I don't know, it just didn't feel right. Well, I got in the shower after class and Lorette's there. Again, I don't make eye contact -- especially there. I just want to get 'er done and get out, ya know what I'm sayin?. Well, she started talking to me. First thing out of her mouth was that I'm too skinny. Like, what?! How about, "That was a nice class, eh?" Nope. Then I found myself on the defensive with this woman I hardly know, except that she's a doctor, she plays a lot of tennis and she's got a foreign accent; three things that make it difficult to understand where she was coming from. Was she coming from a doctor's perspective of concern, was she feeling competitive because of the tennis or was she from a country that frowns on thin women? Perhaps all three put together. I dunno. It was weird since we were both naked and I at one point had turned my shower off to get the f%&* outta there and she kept talking to me. She proceeded to say that her daughter had lost weight and she told her to get on a scale and check. This was her "subtle" way of telling me to get on a scale. However, I knew she had a different agenda and wasn't really listening to me since I had just said that I had stepped on a scale a couple weeks ago and I was the same weight I've always been. She wasn't listening and she didn't care. That's when I knew that she was just insulting me and making me feel uncomfortable. I think I was validated when my husband told me that he would never say that to someone, period. In restrospect, what I could have said (per advice from my ever-lovin' hubby) was "I don't feel comfortable having this discussion right now." That would have put her in her place and I wouldn't have been in the awkward position (no pun intended) of defending myself. Again, weird. I hope I never have to encounter a situation like that again.

As for class, it was lovely and not too hot. Just right considering I was feeling less than my best. I was pretty strong though, considering. I did standing head to knee with hardly any effort and I even managed to almost get my head to touch my knee on my right side. I think when I tell myself that I don't have to push very hard, I still put in a tremendous amount of effort and come out feeling like I did hardly any work. It's great. I wish I could use that mindset for every class but I know that's not fair to me and to the rest of the class. It was nice for today though!

No comments:

Post a Comment