Sunday, March 15, 2009

Focus, Focus, Focus

I had a good morning class today. I was definitely a little wonky. My equilibrium was off especially on my left side of standing head to knee. I completely fell out of it but managed to get both legs straight on both sides despite this wonkiness. I'm never all that flexible in the morning so I couldn't actually bring my head to my knee. But the other day, I did! I'm still so excited about that. It was a pose I thought I'd never, ever be able to do. It was so satisfying.

Another interesting factor in today's class was that there were only 3 of us, 1 of whom was brand new. You can always tell based on the clothing. She was wearing long yoga pants and a loose tank top. Me, on the other hand, I basically wear a two-piece bathing suit. The less the better! Anyways, the interesting factor was that each of our energies were a little off kilter and I think we all contributed to the imbalance in the room. If there had been strong practitioners in the room, I probably would have benefited from their strong energy, whereas today, I was the strongest practitioner and the other two were sorta relying on me. I can definitely be weak in my mind when it comes to focus. It's a skill I want to acquire and am certainly working towards but I'm a long way off. I know it will help my acting, especially at auditions where it's easy to get psyched out. The focus in a yoga studio is such that in order to improve, you must stay on yourself and never stray. It helps no one, especially me. I guess sometimes I feel like maybe the person next to me thinks I'm competing and I get weirded out when I go all out. I hate competition so I'd rather look bad in a pose rather than go all out. But, I know, it's not about what others think. It's about attaining a strong practice and a strong focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment