Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Afternoon Delight


Wow. What a difference in my flexibility from morning to afternoon. Today I went to the 6pm class. I'm soooo much more flexible in the afternoon. It made me feel good about myself and the progress I've made in my yoga. When you go to morning classes, it's all about accepting the stiffness and the feeling that you're really not all that good. But when I need a pick me up, I will most certainly go to an afternoon/evening class. I really notice my progress from day 1 in a later class. I always used to take classes later in the day. Now that I know the benefit of early classes, I don't have the satisfaction of being as flexible. But just when I feel bad about my progress, I will from now on go to a later class.

The hardest pose for me, right now, is standing head to knee. Just when I thought I was really getting it, I realized that I'm jamming my leg too far back into my hip. Now, I'm working on using my strength to get my leg out of my socket and more out front. Definitely harder and it requires more strength. Good. I like that. It means my work is never done. There's always something to tweak. It means class will never be too easy. If it gets too easy then it's time to find something more challenging. I don't really ever want to stop Bikram so I'm happy to know it's going to be difficult for a long time, and maybe forever. One thing I've come to realize, based on what my teachers have said, you have to work just as hard if not harder as you get older. So, it will always require a hearty effort, no matter how long I do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment